Blanco

Blanco
our hero

Friday 21 September 2012

Meet the family...

...Herman's family that is!  A fantastic aroma in the kitchen heralded the arrival of Herman's offspring - meet Armand, Sherman and Hermione (she's in the middle).



Lucky for me none of my friends were interested in receiving the gift of Herman, and as I don't need to start accumulating extra Hermans yet, I decided to bake all 3 of the extra portions. Have gone for a fairly basic recipe for Armand & Sherman of Apple & Sultana and Hermione is the classic Date & Walnut. At least one of these will be given away and I may have to freeze another - but we will definitely sit down with a 'cup of tea & a slice of cake' later this evening.

Not all my baking this week has been quite so successful - tried to bake a birthday cake for Charles last Saturday. Not sure why, but a tried and tested, often used recipe just didn't want to bake. So I whipped out and bought one for his celebration, but this left a most unappetising looking flop sitting in my kitchen.

The addition of Mrs Finnegan's home-made Rhubarb Jam and some lemon butter-cream has worked wonders and then the magic of 'Barbie sprinkles' added the finishing touch. It all went and tasted so much better than it looked.


No comments:

Post a Comment

My reading list

  • One Shot by Lee Childs
  • The Girl who kicked the Hornet's Nest by Steig Larsson
  • The Children's Book by AS Byatt
  • The Girl who played with Fire by Steig Larsson
  • Nation by Terry Pratchett
  • The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Steig Larsson
  • No!I Don't want to join a Book Club by Victoria Ironside
  • The Bookseller of Kabul by Asne Seierstad
  • Brooklyn by Colm Toibin